With so much negativity on the news around the world, it seems to me that we could all use more good news in our lives. And who wouldn’t want to hear more good news about animals? I know that I always do. That is what this article is going to be about – good news about animals, specifically about happy animal rescue stories.
Even though my website is All About Sloths, I love all animals and do sometimes write about animals other than sloths. This is one such article, which is going to present some animal rescue stories (including some sloth rescue stories…..of course!), as well as some stories about animals rescuing other animals, plus an amazing story about an animal rescuing a human. At the end of it all, I hope to have brightened your day (even if just a little bit) since sloths (and all animals and all kind people) always brighten mine.
Sloth Rescue Stories
As the slowest-moving mammal (and one of the slowest-moving animals) on the planet, sloths can find themselves in a world of trouble if they end up in a dangerous situation. Some examples of dangerous situations that sloths can find themselves in are trying to cross a busy highway (well, trying to cross any road is quite the challenge for them), climbing on a telephone pole, and trying to stay alive while on a sandy beach. Fortunately, there are some kind individuals that are willing to help these wonderful creatures out, some of which I will talk about next.
—>Sloth rescue story near Uvita, Costa Rica. Posted on October 7, 2016 by Happy Coconuts Travel Blog, this video shows a kind soul helping a sloth trying to cross a road in Costa Rica. I love to see kindness in the world, and this is one great example of that.
—>Sloth rescue story from Ecuador. Posted on January 26, 2016, by WTNH News8, this video shows transit police from the Ecuadorian Transit Authority rescuing a sloth from the highway. I’m guessing this isn’t part of their regular job duties!
—>Sloth rescue story near Parque Nacional Manuel Antonio (Manuel Antonio National Park) in Costa Rica. Posted on September 7, 2017 by Rumble Viral, this video shows a sloth on a telephone pole being rescued by firefighters. Once again, I’m guessing that this is not part of a regular job duty of a firefighter.
—>Baby sloth rescue story from Costa Rica, on Osa Peninsula beach. Posted on January 25, 2018 by USA TODAY, this video shows a wonderful human being helping a baby sloth that was in great need of assistance on a sandy beach. Another example of human kindness that I love to see!
Other Animal Rescue Stories
In addition to the sloth rescue stories as presented in the previous paragraph, I would also like to talk about some other animal rescue stories. These seven stories were presented in a compilation in a June 2, 2016, post by ABC News and include the following:
- Brothers rescue a bald eagle that they found in a trap, which was unable to escape on its own.
- Emergency responders rescue a koala that was hit by a car and fled up a tree.
- Group of bikers block traffic to rescue a dog that was running loose on a busy road.
- Large group of individuals band together to rescue a baby elephant that was stuck in a sewer.
- Fisherman rescues a dog that was lost on the water in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Patient individuals rescue an orca whale that was stuck on some rocks.
- More patient individuals rescue a grey whale after it got caught in a fishing net.
Animals Rescuing Other Animals
Humans are not the only ones that rescue animals – animals rescue animals, too. And that is what this video is about. It was posted on September 29, 2015 by The List Show TV and presents a compilation of the following rescues:
- Dog rescues dog that was trapped in a hole.
- Dog rescues possum and their friendship continues.
- Elk rescues marmot that was stuck in a tank.
- Bear rescues crow that was struggling in the water.
- Dog rescues dogs that were stuck on a canoe in the water.
Animals Rescuing Humans
There are so many incredible stories about animals rescuing humans, so I thought I would highlight one of those stories next. Once again, I find it so amazing how smart animals are!
- Back in 2010, a state trooper in Alaska receives a call about a house fire. It’s dark, this fire is in a rural area out in the country, and the state trooper’s GPS is frozen. As the state trooper is attempting to find this address (at night, in the Alaskan wilderness), he approaches an intersection and sees a dog waiting at that intersection. Wisely, the state trooper decides to follow the dog (for quite awhile, I might add) and by doing so, was led right to the fire. Watch the amazing video from the state trooper’s dash cam, which was posted on April 22, 2010 by Anchorage Daily News. Not shown in the video, the dog (after leading the state trooper to the house fire) then ran back to the road to lead the fire truck to the house in the same manner. I find that so incredibly smart! The dog’s name was Buddy and he was hailed as a hero (and rightly so).
There Are Heroes Amongst Us
After presenting some happy animal rescue stories, it warms my heart to know that there are heroes amongst us (both human and animal heroes). I truly hope that this article brightened your day and warmed your heart, too.
Do you have a favorite rescue story from this article? Do you have other rescue stories that you’d like to share? If so, I would love to see them and read about them. Feel free to leave any comments below.
If you’d like a little more sloth in your life or are thinking about a gift for someone else, check out my Product Reviews for some ideas. Also, be sure to watch for my online sloth merchandise store, which I am planning to launch in 2021.